Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Happy Anniversary Grandma and Grandpa!



WOW! Grandma and Grandpa Watkins have been married for 60 years...Now, that's love! Their anniversary isn't until the end of the month, but I thought it was appropriate to mention this kind of love around Valentine's day!

They got married very young, and have been head over heals ever since. My fiesty grandma told him she wouldn't wait around and that he would be making a mistake not to choose her. Acting as if it were no big deal, she played her cards right since my Grandpa (Russ) was such a looker! He couldn't stay away from Geraldine Nations.
For years, their routine would be to go to Target and Grandpa would just sit in the food court waiting...and waiting...for Grandma (there is no saying how long he would wait-I must say I get my love of shopping from you, Grma!). So, when she would be out of town, he missed her so much that he would go to that same Target and sit there waiting, as if she were just shopping. So whipped!
About 15 years ago, Grandma was diagnosed with parkinsons disease and it has slowly taken away her ability to walk as well, move her muscles, talk, etc. She is still fiesty and such a trooper!
A few months ago, the disease took a turn for the worst. Her heart is not working as well as it used to and we really thought we were going to lose her. Fortunately, she made it through-tough as nails she survived!
Grandpa has been there for her for better and for worse. I have never seen a couple so in love after all those years! They still have that look for eachother-so cute!
WE LOVE YOU GRANDMA AND GRANDPA! You are troopers. We miss you and wish you a very Happy Anniversary! May everyone reading this experience the kind of love and devotion through the years of their marriage that Russ and Jet have!

2 comments:

  1. ohhh, that story melts my heart. That is the cutest thing ever. It reminds me of my grandparents. every saturday my grandma gets her hair done and my grandpa sits in the back of the salon and takes a nap then they go to the olive garden for lunch. It's so romantic. but to sit at target when she isn't there. Now that is LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! I am so glad you shared it with us. My eyes watered when I read it. I know I am a sap, but those stories of true love are great!!

    ReplyDelete