Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Poem For You

I wrote the following poem after reading the beautiful post on Melissa Miles' blog for the 3rd time. It made me reflect on the blessings I have that are just sleeping in the other room. Our kids are so precious...though so difficult! I love that you all know what I am talking about. But, I am making this public announcement that I am changing my attitude and spending more quality time with my children.
Who knows how much time we have...

Life of a Mother

I wake up and look like a mess,
I stare in the mirror and wish I could fix it,
Just then my youngest one tugs at my leg,
Holding a big box of bisquick,

My 3-year-old yells for me down the hall,
More like crying than anything,
"Mommy I pooped, please wipe me!" he yearns,
Times like these I don't feel like a queen,

Morning is over and time moves on slowly,
"Why can't the older one see?
I have so much work to do today,
I can't take them pulling on me",

Just then I remember I haven't changed,
My pj's are on, my hair still a mess,
"What in the world have I done today?
I can't even get myself dressed!"

I try to get ready for a long hot shower,
I trip on a pile of toys,
One of the water heaters is broken,
No heat left after bathing the boys,

I shake and tremble while drying off,
Another glance in the mirror I take,
I shake again, only this time it's my head,
"Shouldn't have eaten that cake!"

Daddy is home after naptime,
He gets to play hero again,
I get a few minutes to do what I want,
So I eat frosting straight from the can,

Nightime ritual has finally come,
The boys are ready to sleep,
I turn out their lights and stare into the dark,
The love I feel is so deep,

A voice whispers inside my heart,
"For this purpose, you are here"
Just then I feel guilt for not enjoying them more,
This guilt is followed by a tear.

So to each of you mothers reading this,
Enjoy your kids everyday,
Don't make the mistake I sometimes make,
By wishing the day away.

~Amber

11 comments:

  1. Amber, that is beautiful, you are so talented... it really touched me. I'm going to print it off and put in my kitchen somewhere... is that okay? I'll make sure to put that it's by you :) Keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little hairs on my arms were raised as I read through your poem from beginning to end. Thanks for sharing this poem! What an inspiration you are! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beutiful poem! You are so talented! I've recently reflected on that myself because I found myself wishing the days away that Jeremy's flying. I dawned on me that if I keep up that attitude then I'd be wishing away half of my little ones childhood. Thanks for writing down on paper what I've been feeling in my heart! I, too, may have to hang that up as a daily reminder. So touching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TC,
    I am flattered you would like to use this poem...feel free to print it out! I know I need a reminder to enjoy my kids and not just watch the clock:) You are awesome! Thanks for your kind words.
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen,
    Feel free to use it as well! I appreciate you sharing that with me. It is nice to know I am not the only one! I really find myself watching that clock (especially if Ty is out of town or in for a long day at work) and it is hard maintaining an upbeat attitude...but I watched this Oprah once and someone said that kids can tell if you are enjoying their presence by just looking at you. They are TOO PERCEPTIVE! That kinda scared me. Sorry for the novel-we will have to talk about this later:)
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Amber, Thank you so much for taking the time to write that FOR ME. I am guilty from time to time wishing the day away. You're right, there is a purpose in ALL we do in the good, the bad and the ugly and plain annoying. Seriously, I am tearing up. I love my kids so much and there are so many times I don't stop enough to enjoy them and the fact that they are loan from my Father in Heaven. Thank you for your words. I needed to read that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my children were small, my mom always told me to enjoy them because that was the BEST time. Later when they were teenagers, she said THAT was the BEST time & to enjoy it. Now they are grown & married & have children of their own. Today she told me THIS is the very BEST. I am going to believe her & ENJOY. BE SMART. START NOW & enjoy all the times of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I have wished many days away. I remember when my kiddos were just babies and I would always think, "I can't wait until they can run around and play", and now I sometimes think "I can't wait until they are bigger and can do more things on their own." I guess we all need a reminder that we really need to enjoy every age because it truely does go by so fast. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for that Amber..you are so talented!! You continue to amaze me. I want to post it on my blog..is that okay with you? So great..you made my day.
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amber, you've just made my night last night when I read this! Thank you for your creativity and truly talented personality! It was exactly what I needed!! THANK YOU!!! (mmmmwwahh - there's my big hug and kiss)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok, first of all I'm sorry I that I'm JUST reading this! your blog doesn't come up on my list of updated blogs because it is locked so I have to check it on my own (along with a few others) and haven't gotten around to it. Sorry. Thats not being a good friend. especially since I used to check it a couple times a day. Yes, I was stocking you.
    Secondly, that was AMAZING. I too would like to post it if thats ok. The line "for this purpose, you are here" was the start of the tears rolling.
    you are so talented with words. I love you! Your the best.

    ReplyDelete